Friday 31 October 2014

Snowy Night


What do you love to do when card making?  Anyone who visits my blog, knows how much I LOVE playing with my Distress inks and the colour blue.  So, when I saw the challenge at Splitcoast; make a card using a favourite technique, colour or theme, I just had to make a card.

I began with a piece of 110 lb. watercolour paper and masked off the edges.  I have adapted a tip I learned from Jennifer McGuire which is to tape your paper to a cutting board to help prevent warping of the wet paper.  I just bought a small cutting board at the dollar store for that.
 I began sponging on shades of blue Distress inks over my paper and then splattered with water for the background.  I love how the water reacts with the Distress inks.  Next, I die-cut the snowflake from Lawn Fawn but used the negative part of the cut...be sure to save the small pieces so you can glue them back into the cut area.  I also added some water with a paint brush around the die-cut area to bring a bit more interest to the snowflake.  I stamped the sentiment from PTI with black Memento ink.
I am happy to be getting a few more Christmas cards done to add to the stash.

Also adding my card to these challenges:

Simon Says- ANYTHING GOES

Addicted to Stamps- CAS

Brown Sugar- ANYTHING GOES


Thanks so very much for coming by and taking a look.

Supplies- stamp- PTI/ die- Lawn Fawn/ Distress inks- Salty Ocean, Peacock Feathers, Faded Jeans/ pearl/

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful card, I must have a play with my distress inks on watercolour paper. Karen x

cotnob said...

This is a gorgeous card, such a beautiful blue background and fabulous crisp design.
Pauline
x

Deepti said...

Gorgeous !! Love the gradient in blue :) thank you for sharig with ATSM

Cathy said...

Beautiful card Karen, love the inky background and the gorgeous blues, Cathy x

Lisa Lara said...

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous Karen. YOu work magic with Distress Inks. I love coloring!

Kristie Goulet said...

STUNNING! LOVE this. Great background. Love my distress inks too!

Unknown said...

Love the die cut and distress background. Thanks for joining us at ATSM! Hope to see you again.

My Paper Epiphany said...


What a stunning card!

Barb Ghig said...

Gorgeous card, Karen! I love your background with this beautiful snowflake and sentiment!
Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at ATSM! We always enjoy seeing your creations!

Loll said...

Amazing design Karen. Love the die-cut snowflake ... hard to do that on your gorgeous watercoloured background, but it turned so fantastic. Love the added dimension with the small snowflake and gem. Loll xx

debby4000 said...

Oh I love your beautiful snowflake card.
Thank you for joining us at Simon says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
Luv
Debby

Daria Z. said...

Karen, I just love this card - the colors, design, everything!

Princess Judy Palmer said...

What a fabulous design, using the snowflake as a cut out. You have done some really fabulous and clever things with this snowflake.