Friday 9 January 2015

New Day


Baby, It's Cold Outside!  
That's the theme of the challenge this a.m. over at Splitcoast that inspired my card.  
The challenge also asked us to make a background with Distress inks and salt so I was in!

I began making the background by rubbing Peacock Feathers and Dusty Concord Distress inks onto my non-stick craft sheet, sprayed with water and then dragged my paper through the wet ink.  I immediately sprinkled on some coarse Sea Salt over my paper and set it aside to dry.  The salt soaks up the ink and you are left with a beautiful, mottled background.  
When dry, I brushed off the salt then stamped the Etched Branches from Penny Black around the edges of the inked piece.  I then stamped the sentiment called ...this day to finish off my card.

Also adding my card to these challenges:

CASology- DATE

Happy Little Stampers- CAS WATERCOLOURING

Seize the Birthday- ANYTHING GOES

Simon Says- SOMETHING NEW
(new release stamp Etched Branches)

Shopping Our Stash- SOMEHTHING NEW
(new release stamp- Etched Branches)



Thanks so much for coming by and taking a look.

Supplies:  stamps- Penny Black/ salt/ Distress inks/ Memento ink

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful card. Karen x

Verna Angerhofer said...

Beautiful card with beautiful colors and a beautiful sentiment.

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

Really pretty Karen! Love it! Hazel x

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Gorgeous card. It didn't make me think of cold though. It made me think of serenity and tranquility. Still awesome either way!

Margaret said...

Love this card - very clever use of the stamp.

Loll said...

Gorgeous mix of colours for your background Karen. Definitely is a feel of a cold winter's day! :) Am loving this beautiful stamp from Penny Black and have it on my wish list :) Great challenge from SCS and hope to be able to play along this weekend. Thanks so much for playing along at Happy Little Stampers! Loll xx

Bobby said...

I knew about salt with watercolor but haven't tried it, Karen, Thanks for the inspiration. I love your background and since I have the PB stamp I will definitely be CASEing this card.

maria's knutselplezier said...

Great sky as background, beautiful colours and great quote!!

Greetings, injoy the weekend!!
Maria

Sarn said...

LOVE this. Great colours, nice sentiment and fab branches. x

Tracey McNeely said...

Beautiful Karen! Thank you for sharing with us at CASology!

Heather said...

A gorgeous card Karen, a beautifully creared background paper and fabulous stamped branches!!

Thanks so much for joining us with Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
hugs
Heather xx

Joyce said...

What a stunning background you created. I just love it. Thanks so much for playing along at CASology this week.

Judy1223 said...

Wow, what a gorgeous background to your lovely stamped sentiment and branches. Very cool effect...so dreamy! Thanks for joining us at CASology!

Christine Kosmak said...

This is just beautiful! I love the colours you used. More techniques that I'll have to try myself!!!!

Kylie said...

Another beautiful card, Karen. You are an expert at these backgrounds! Thanks so much for playing along at Happy Little Stampers xx

Barb Ghig said...

Gorgeous background, Karen! I love the colors and how they blended together...I love how you stamped the branches and sentiment, too! Really beautiful card!

Nancy said...

Such a beautiful card Karren....love that sentiment!! Glad you played with us again at Seize The Birthday!

OH Babs said...

Karen thanks once more for sharing the technique you used. Honestly I get many ideas from your cards and this method I will share with my group.

Hannelie said...

Beautiful inking and stamping like only you can Karen!
Thanks for joining us at Seize the birthday!

Jingle said...

This is lovely! Thanks so much for playing along with the Something New Challenge on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!